Línrè 林热 (“Lin craze”) (663,000 ghits, though I can’t guarantee that all of these are about Jeremy Lin) The problem is that this focuses on the rage and hoopla over Lin, while Linsanity includes his abandoned, exuberant style of play.
Lín shì xuànfēng 林氏旋风 (“Mr. Lin cyclone”) (10,300 ghits) This expression is popular among certain circles in Taiwan, but it doesn’t capture the flavor of Linsanity with regard to the wildness surrounding Jeremy Lin.
Lín shì fēngkuáng 林氏疯狂 (“Mr. Lin insanity”) (2,200 ghits) dud
Lín shì fēng 林氏疯 (“Mr. Lin crazy”) (7,490 ghits) sub-dud; a considerable proportion of these ghits include bào 暴 (“storm”) at the end, hence Lín shì fēngbào 林氏疯暴 (“Mr. Lin crazy storm”)
Lín shì kuáng 林氏狂 (“Mr. Lin mad”) (1,280 ghits) sub-sub-dud
For nearly a week, I was in despair. Such a fantastic phenomenon as “Linsanity”, yet such an unsatisfying rendering of that into Chinese as Línfēngkuáng 林疯狂!
Finally, however, a new translation of “Linsanity” surfaced, namely, Línláifēng 林来疯. Brilliant!! I fell in love with this rendering as soon as I encountered it. Not only does it capture the spontaneity of Jeremy Lin’s moves and the thrills they evoke in the crowds who watch him, it is constructed in accordance with the rules for Chinese word formation. Moreover, like “Linsanity”, which is modified from an actual English word, Línláifēng 林来疯 is transformed from a real Chinese expression: rénláifēng 人来疯 (“get hyped up in front of an audience”). Perfect!
I was particularly pleased and enormously gratified when I noticed that the number of ghits for Línláifēng 林来疯 had soared from 155,000 two days ago to 683,000 today! This shows that, when an excellent, idiomatic translation is made, people recognize it and approve of it enthusiastically. So the problem of how to translate Línláifēng 林来疯 into Chinese has been solved, and beautifully so.
- @jreback Output of tests as requested: github.com/pydata/pandas-…. Everything passes & I think I've addressed all ques… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- @jreback Know ur probably swamped, but any chance you can look at this pandas-gbq PR? github.com/pydata/pandas-… Your review is blocking. TY! 1 day ago
- @GoogleN @LGUS @googlenexus clip of LG Nexus 5x infinitely looping on start up youtu.be/_s3mHU0OqqI Is this fixable? 1 week ago
- @GoogleN @LGUS Hi, my Nexus 5x crashed and now is stuck in a "bootloop," doesn't get past Google logo before restarting. Can this be fixed? 1 week ago
- @MusicBrainz @Freso Do you happen to have any other tables which can be used as proxy for artist popularit? (pagevi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- @MusicBrainz @Freso Aha, looks like artist_meta has what I need (just needed the count of ratings at artist level)! 3 weeks ago