Línrè 林热 (“Lin craze”) (663,000 ghits, though I can’t guarantee that all of these are about Jeremy Lin) The problem is that this focuses on the rage and hoopla over Lin, while Linsanity includes his abandoned, exuberant style of play.
Lín shì xuànfēng 林氏旋风 (“Mr. Lin cyclone”) (10,300 ghits) This expression is popular among certain circles in Taiwan, but it doesn’t capture the flavor of Linsanity with regard to the wildness surrounding Jeremy Lin.
Lín shì fēngkuáng 林氏疯狂 (“Mr. Lin insanity”) (2,200 ghits) dud
Lín shì fēng 林氏疯 (“Mr. Lin crazy”) (7,490 ghits) sub-dud; a considerable proportion of these ghits include bào 暴 (“storm”) at the end, hence Lín shì fēngbào 林氏疯暴 (“Mr. Lin crazy storm”)
Lín shì kuáng 林氏狂 (“Mr. Lin mad”) (1,280 ghits) sub-sub-dud
For nearly a week, I was in despair. Such a fantastic phenomenon as “Linsanity”, yet such an unsatisfying rendering of that into Chinese as Línfēngkuáng 林疯狂!
Finally, however, a new translation of “Linsanity” surfaced, namely, Línláifēng 林来疯. Brilliant!! I fell in love with this rendering as soon as I encountered it. Not only does it capture the spontaneity of Jeremy Lin’s moves and the thrills they evoke in the crowds who watch him, it is constructed in accordance with the rules for Chinese word formation. Moreover, like “Linsanity”, which is modified from an actual English word, Línláifēng 林来疯 is transformed from a real Chinese expression: rénláifēng 人来疯 (“get hyped up in front of an audience”). Perfect!
I was particularly pleased and enormously gratified when I noticed that the number of ghits for Línláifēng 林来疯 had soared from 155,000 two days ago to 683,000 today! This shows that, when an excellent, idiomatic translation is made, people recognize it and approve of it enthusiastically. So the problem of how to translate Línláifēng 林来疯 into Chinese has been solved, and beautifully so.
- RT @jetsumgerl: #UnderstandingTheSocial ways in which a post gets posted on Weibo @carwyn https://t.co/GCAdoEMfLB 1 week ago
- It's those kinds of small dramas in @lehilgers sensitive portrayal of Zhuang Liehong (plus others) that detail spec… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- Interesting timing reading @lehilgers PATRIOT NUMBER ONE now, which follows an escaped political dissident trying t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- Proud to be able to share what I — along with some incredibly talented engineers, researchers, designers, product f… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- @Postmates_Help @splaice @Basti @Rob_Rieders Finally was able to open ticket to delete account, but seriously, plea… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- @Postmates_Help @splaice @Basti @Rob_Rieders I DMed and got a response to delete my account using the link in my or… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago